*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Immune Boost Powered by Wellmune®
Our Immune Boost is powered by Wellmune®, a natural beta-glucan that is derived from a proprietary strain of baker’s yeast. It is clinically proven to safely enhance the immune system by mobilizing billions of innate immune cells that are part of the body’s natural defense system.
Servings: 15 Price Per Serving: $0.35
- More Information
- Reviews (0)
Wellmune® is a unique beta-glucan derived from a proprietary strain of baker’s yeast. It bolsters the body’s first line of defense against foreign challenges (bacteria, viruses, etc.) by mobilizing neutrophils, the most abundant type of white blood cell in the body.
In order for a neutrophil to bind to, and kill a pathogen, it has to detect gluco-polysaccharides on the surface of the invading cell(1). Unfortunately, most pathogens lack these polysaccharides that initiate the killing response. This is where the beta-glucans found in Wellmune® can help. They mimic the missing polysaccharides, activating neutrophils so that they can more quickly navigate to the site of the pathogens.
Wellmune® is the just the right size to be absorbed through specific sites in the small intestine, where is is slowly released over a number of days for a long lasting effect without overstimulating the immune system. Through this action, Wellmune® strengthens the body’s key immune responses, to protect against the harmful effects of stressors(2).
This benefit can be of particular importance to athletes or anyone engaging in intense exercise. It is well established that in the 24 hour period following a strenuous exercise there can be temporary disruptions in mucosal immunity resulting in an increased risk for upper respiratory tract infection (URTI). In a clinical trial of marathon runners, administration of Wellmune® yielded a reduction in the prevalence of URTI symptoms over a period of 28 days after their race(3).
Of course the stressors that impact the body aren’t always from physical exertion. Psychological stress affects everyone and is known to lead to decreased immune function. A randomized, placebo-controlled, double blind study involving 77 women who were prescreened for experience of moderate psychological stress, had them self-administer Wellmune® or a placebo for 90 days. After each month, the women completed a Profile of Mood States (POMS) questionnaire to measure tension, depression, anger, fatigue, vigor, and confusion. After the treatment period, significant differences in mood state response between the placebo and Wellmune® group were observed for vigor and global mood state, with the responses being higher in the Wellmune® group. In this study, daily supplementation with baker’s yeast beta-glucan improved psychological well being(4).
- Goodridge, H. S., Wolf, A. J., & Underhill, D. M. (2009). β-glucan recognition by the innate immune system. Immunological Reviews, 230(1), 38-50.
- Biothera, The Immune Health Compnay. (2016). How Does Wellmune Work? | Wellmune®: Natural Immune System Booster. Retrieved January 21, 2016, from http://www.wellmune.com/what-is-wellmune_immune-boosting-ingredient/how-it-works/
- Mcfarlin, B. K., Carpenter, K. C., Davidson, T., & Mcfarlin, M. A. (2013). Baker’s Yeast Beta Glucan Supplementation Increases Salivary IgA and Decreases Cold/Flu Symptomatic Days After Intense Exercise. Journal of Dietary Supplements J Dietary Suppl, 10(3), 171-183.
- Talbott, S. M., & Talbott, J. A. (2012). Baker’s Yeast Beta-Glucan Supplement Reduces Upper Respiratory Symptoms and Improves Mood State in Stressed Women. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 31(4), 295-300.
- Color (in powder form)
- Product Flavor Profile (mixed with 8-10 oz. water)
- Neutral taste
- Suggested Flavor Pairings
- Any: Works well with all of our 12 flavor offerings. Choose your favorite!
- Alternative Uses: Add to…
- Cold Beverages (juice, milk, iced tea, etc.)
- Hot Beverages (coffee, tea, etc.)
- Sports Drinks
- Baked Goods
*To experience the full benefits of your supplements make sure you are consuming the full recommended dose at the appropriate interval.